Bread Machine Bread FAIL
We got a bread machine for our wedding (yea!) Bread is my favorite food especially homemade bread! Soooo yummy. I could eat whole loaves by myself! I'm pretty much a bread-aholic. So I was pretty excited when we got a bread machine as a wedding gift. The only thing is that I haven't found a recipe that works in it yet.
First I tried my mom's bread machine recipe. I liked it because I like pretty much any kind of bread, underdone, overdone, crunchy, soft, etc. However, my picky husband wasn't the biggest fan. He still ate it and we are still happily married... but it wasn't his favorite.
So Weston convinced me to try his mom's recipe. He raved about how amazing it is as did all of his other siblings, (and it is amazing). So we tried to make it in my bread machine. Weston actually made this one since he grew up making it for his family and we let it cook while we were at church. When we got home, our apartment smelled like delicious homemade bread. I was so excited to taste it but according to Weston, it wasn't as good as his mom's. It was too DRY!!! Dang it. I think Utah is sucking the moisture out of all my bread experiments. I just want a good recipe that works in our machine that we'll love!
After much consulting with our parents and siblings, I decided to try one of the bread recipes from the owner's manual. These recipes are meant for this bread machine after all? So we let it cook during church today... but this loaf was the worst of all!!! It's so sad...
The top was still funky looking. I don't think our machine did a good job mixing everything up. There were still chunks of flour in the bottom corners! The crust was too crunchy and the bread was dry. I'm pretty sure that it's the Utah dryness that is killing out our bread. It's definitely not my fault ;)
I just want a yummy, moist loaf that will melt in my mouth and please my husband. Like this yummy banana bread I made a few weeks ago:
Even though my bread machine experiments haven't been turning out, at least I'm still trying. I am so totally determined to find the magic recipe that works for Weston and me. I know it'll come... eventually! So if any of you have a really good bread machine recipe... shoot me an email or message and I'll give it a try!
Anyways... enough about bread.... look at this new skirt that I made!
It was a sleeveless dress but I cut the top off and made it into a skirt! I am pretty desperate for new skirts so I plan on making new ones during this last month of summer (I can't believe it's almost OVER!).
whenever i bake stuff here in utah, i have to put in less flour than the recipe calls for. i don't know why; i guess it really is just more dry? when i make the same recipes back in rainy, wet oregon i always need all the flour the recipe calls for. i've never made bread with a bread machine, but it might work to leave out half a cup of flour or more. good luck! (and cute skirt :) )
ReplyDeleteYup, more water or less flower. Maybe up the yeast a tiny bit.
ReplyDeleteI always add the flour in increments until it feels right but...that doesn't really work with a bread machine. This is our current favorite: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-whole-wheat-bread/detail.aspx
ReplyDeleteYou should ask Kira about recipes. She had the same problem in Utah, too. Perhaps if you find one online it'll make a recommendation about how to fix it in dry environments. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm glad to see we have another breadaholic in our midst! :)
ReplyDelete