I absolutely LOVE our story of how we met. So I’m going to share it!!!
Here's Weston's edition of how we met in song:
"Well, here's a story of a lovely lady who was leading ten girls of her own.
Then one day she met this fellow who was all alone."
And that's as far as he got, haha.
The beginning of last year, I applied to be an EFY counselor in Texas. I planned on going back to work in a retirement home that I had worked in previously. So I interviewed to be a counselor as a back up plan. The first week of EFY was at Sam Houston University in Huntsville which is an hour away from where I live. So for me to do EFY, I had to request a whole week off of my full time job at the retirement home. But I really felt that I should go. I have always loved EFY as a participant and it sounded like it would also be fun as a counselor. And my mom kept telling me to go. So I got work off and went!
I got there on a Saturday night after everyone else and had missed a day of training so I felt like a lost puppy with no friends. I had no idea where church was on Sunday so I found some other counselor in the lobby and she helped me find church and even sit next to her. One of her good friends, Weston, came and sat next to us for Sacrament meeting. I thought that he was the cutest guy ever but was too nervous to say much to him. But after meeting him then, I thought he was the most attractive guy counselor there. And I secretly hoped and wished that we would be paired as co-counselors.
Later that night, they posted the counselor pairs list. I said another prayer wishing to be his co and... saw his name, Weston Kunz! We were paired up! (I later learned that he was also secretly wishing to be paired with me too). Then I recognized his last name... Kunz... hmm... I've heard that name before! I asked him if he was related to Tom Kunz in the Klein Stake Presidency and it turns out that is his DAD! So we have been in the same stake for years and didn't even know each other!
Here we are on the first day. We met every morning at 6am to prepare for the day. So from 6am-9pm we were pretty much together all day long.
This is our awesome group! We were heading to a devotional in this picture. These kids were only 14-15 years old but they quickly picked up on our secret crushes on each other.
I think that EFY is the best place to meet someone. Especially as counselors. I not only got to meet Weston there, but I got to see all different sides of him. He was seriously so fun with all the kids! It was really great watching him interact with them. He was wayyyy good at playing ninja.
I got to see a spiritual side of him. I think sometimes when you are dating someone you met at school or wherever, you don't get to see very much of their spiritual side sometimes. As counselors, we are required to teach lessons to our company on a daily basis. I loved watching Weston teach. He really has a way with reaching out to teenagers.
I saw his obedient side. One day at lunch, I asked Weston to sit by someone that often sat alone. He did it and I think it made their day. It made mine to see him reach out to others. Eventually all the other kids in our group came and joined them and everyone was happy! I was able to see how everyone who was near Weston was having a good time. He is so fun to be around!
Our group had a song dedicated to us at the Friday Dance. They also formed a huge circle around us and swayed as we had our first dance. It was quite special.
So as counselors, you have to pick a scripture for your company. Weston and I picked the scripture,
D&C 58:27 "Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause,
and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness."
So this is us with the flag that our group made. (Yes I kept it and hung it in my apartment).
After EFY ended, I knew that I wanted to get to know Weston more. I had so much fun with him and I didn't want the fun to end!
It also turns out that they did not have another session of EFY in Huntsville. So basically that one week last year was probably just so that Weston and I could meet.
Our story will be continued next Sunday or sometime this week if I get around to it.
My favorite couple ever and the best story of meeting that their is. I love both of you and miss you guys!
ReplyDelete